Thursday, October 13, 2011

Castillo de Monséran Cariñena Garnacha

Castillo de Monséran Cariñena Garnacha


Growing Area: Spain
Vintage: 2009
Price: $9.99 USD

Funny how special moments and memories in life can be remembered with select items.  For me this wine did just that.  I was able to enjoy an earlier vintage of this exact wine at a wonderful dinner party in 2006 and since then have been looking for a bottle of it.  Well, finally I found it!  And what better way to reminisce than with dinner and a review.   


The appearance of the wine was a deep violet/purple with a light red hue present upon tipping the wine in the glass.  The aroma of dark cherries and wild flowers was easily detected in the sinuses.  Upon tasting the wine my palate was rewarded with sweet cherry, blackberry, and slight tannins.  Though the wine started sweet it ends with a dry tone of pepper that lingers on the palate.  Very smooth texture all around. 


Tonight I thought about doing a repeat meal of the one I enjoyed with great friends but decided otherwise at the last second.  I paired the Castillo de Monséran with the following meal:

Baked Sausage Lasagna
Steamed Butter Squash
Homemade Garlic Bread

Overall I give this wine 4 corks out of 5.  Wonderful experience with a great price tag!





No comments:

Post a Comment